Friday, October 9, 2009

Sarah DeRosier

Q: Hi, Sarah, I'm Sam. To start out the interview, why don't
you tell me what some of your hobbies are?
A: Hi Sam!
Well first of all my favorite Hobby I have is Fire Spinning. Basically
it comes from the art of Poi Spinning, which is a ball on a string
that you spin in both hands. What I do is a little extreme because I have kevlar Wick attached to a chain that I soak in Kerosene, and then light it up! You can YOUTUBE Fire spinning to get a better idea of what it is. I first
discovered this hobby by spinning glow sticks in my living room, but I was at
a party downtown Minneapolis and I saw someone from the Minneapolis Troupe
called, "Illumination" fire spinning on the street. I knew I had to learn how so I bought a video and started learning with socks with tennis balls in them. Next summer I am going to try to go a little more professional by doing more parties, and now I have a partner, my boyfriend! (I taught him how because he loves fire and dancing!)

My second hobby is going to concerts, I LOVE music! I have seen so many concerts in my lifetime, it keeps me going, it's basically my religion. My favorite shows are techno shows, mainly because I love hearing the music bumping in your ears, I love dancing with glowsticks, and I love watching other people dance and you find that most at techno shows. I'm actually going to see a DJ named Armin Van Buuren this Thursday with my boyfriend who loves techno just as much as me, we actually met at a techno show. His name is Ben and I love him very much.

In my spare time I also like to watch and critique movies. This annoys a lot of my friends so I try to keep it in my head, until I get together with the people I know will debate with me and then it's a free for all! I love conversation, I could seriously talk anyone's ear off if you give me a good subject.

I check my email in the morning and afternoons usually, so feel free to email me with any more questions and I'll do my best at responding quickly!

Q: Tell me a little more about your fire spinning. How long did you practice with the socks and tennis balls before you moved on to sticks? How long was it before you actually lit them on fire?
A: I only was spinning the "sock poi" for a few weeks until I bought myself glow balls! I think I was practicing for at least 3 months before I started with fire. The first night I spun the fire was an incredible rush, I was downtown Minneapolis at an event called, "Spin Jam." So I had a lot of professionals helping me. they taught me the essentials to fire safety before I lit up, and after I was filled with such adrenaline and excitement like I had never experienced!

Q: Have you ever performed a show for strangers?
A: My friends and family have often asked me to spin at parties they are
throwing, which are mostly in front of strangers for me. I also have spun
at campgrounds for strangers which was really fun.
I don't have anywhere special to spin, mostly in backyards and bbq's. My
favorites are bonfire parties, because they usually are low key and people
really enjoy watching a fire spinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment