Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Earliest Memory

One of the earliest memories I still remember is when my mom brought me to a pet store to adopt a cat for me. We walked in and it smelled of the typical odor that goes along with a building that stores many animals and supplies for them. On either side of the door were large cages filled with puppies, though I don't remember what kind. And on the right side wall were the cages with cats inside. I eagerly looked in every one of them, but was sorely disappointed when I saw that almost all of them were various shades of gray or black. Not one tabby or white colored feline in the bunch. But that certainly wasn't going to stop me from taking one home with me. Not long after I had decided I was just going to have to settle for a gray cat, my mom called me over to the counter up front. She pointed me to a cage separate from all the others, I still don't know why. Inside was a beautiful calico cat. Her fur was dusty white with sploches of brown and black. Her pretty pink nose sniffed curiously as I poked my fingers through the holes in the cage. I told my mom she was the one I wanted and couldn't keep my eyes off her while she filled out the paper work and drove us home. I decided to name her after a character in my favorite movie at the time, Hunchback of Notre Dame. I named her Esmerelda and her nickname soon became Ezzie.

4 comments:

  1. I love the story of your kitty! It seems as though a lot of earliest memories on our beloved pets. I'm glad you got the kitty color of your choice. I like how you wrote your story, I could picture it all in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that name! It's a perfect choice for a kitty cat too. I used to have a cat that was grey and black, with some white, but we had to get rid of him when we moved. Our old apartments allowed him without any stink, but our new apartments wanted a monthly deposit for him. It was like he had to pay rent, so our friends who loved him took him in. I still miss him :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all kitties and your story for involving them. I have a calico cat named sassy and she is bluberous and mean, though I still love her.

    ReplyDelete